DEPARTMENT OF CRYSTALLOGRAPHY
Heads of Department:
- 1945 – 1951
Prof. Maria TURNAU-MORAWSKA
Born 28.05.1899 in Mikulice, Prof. Turnau-Morawska graduated from secondary school in Lviv and Ivan Franko National
University of L'viv. Having received a teacher's certification in physics and chemistry in 1928 she continued her
education and in 1929 she received a Ph.D. In 1930-1932 she was an assistant in Mineralogy and Petrography Department
in Lviv Polytechnic. Until the onset of the war she (with her husband) had lived in Tarchomin and carried out
the petrographic investigation by analyzing material collected in The Tatra Mountain. During the war she worked as a
correspondent for a chemical company outside of Warsaw, finally as a teacher in secondary school. From 1944 she
returned to her scientific work. From May to October 1945, she worked as an assistant in the Geology Department
in Krakov, and from October 1945 to 1951 she directed the Chair of Mineralogy and Petrography of UMCS. During her
work she organized laboratories of mineralogy and geology for students at Pharmacy Faculty and Natural Science.
She bought the first microscopes and laboratory equipment. She gathered a large collection of minerals and rocks.
In 1951 she moved to Warsaw, where she worked at the Faculty of Geology of the Warsaw University.
- 1952 – 1956
- 1957 – 1970
Prof. Tadeusz PENKALA
Born 1.12.1912 in Gabin, Prof. Penkala graduated from the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences of the Warsaw
University, where he received an M.Sc. in crystallography, mineralogy and petrography and in 1945 M.Sc. in chemistry.
He started work at the Warsaw University and in 1952 received a Ph.D. in Natural Science. From 1953 he work
simultaneously at UMCS, and at the Warsaw University. He was appointed as associate professor in 1954 and won the
professor's chair of UMCS in 1969. During his administration (from 1957) the name of the chair was changed into
the Chair of Mineralogy and Crystallography and courses were carried out only for the students of the Faculty
of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. The laboratory developed and equiped with more microscopes used for
the inspection of minerals, also the first X-ray generator (made in the former The Union of Soviet Socialist
Republics, 1967) was purchased. From 1970 he worked only for the Faculty of Geology at the Warsaw University.
- 1970 – 1986†
Prof. Anna BARCICKA
Born 28.06.1924 in Zdolbunow and died in 12.12.1986. Prof. Barcicka graduated primary school in Dubno 1936 and at the
outbreak of the war she graduated with three classes of the secondary school. During the war she worked in a corn
office and as a ticket clerk. After the war, in 1945 she graduated the secondary school in Rzeszow and during the
years 1945-1951 she studied at UMCS at the Faculty of Natural Science. From 1948 she worked as a junior assistant
teacher and next (after she got her M.Sc.) as an assistant teacher at the Chair of Physical Chemistry of UMCS.
In 1959 she finished her Ph.D. under the watchful eye of her supervisor - prof. Andrzej Waksmundzki.
From 1960 to 1964 she worked in the Chair of Physical Chemistry. From October 1964 she changed her research area
and she started working at the Chair of Mineralogy and Crystallography as an associate professor.
In 1970-1986 she supervised the Crystallography Laboratory. The epitaxial crystal growth of the surface of the mica
and the sparingly soluble metal salts obtained by gel methods were her first topics. Next, her investigation was
extended to cation exchange studies in zeolites. Thermal methods and X-ray diffraction techniques were applied to
investigate these systems. It is thanks to her that the diffraction laboratory was organized and equipped with
photographic cameras to record the diffraction pattern and an X-ray powder diffractometer. She also wanted to
create a single X-ray analysis laboratory.
- 1986 – 1991
Prof. Janusz BARCICKI - administrative supervisor of the Laboratory of Crystallography
- 1991 – 1994
Prof. Andrzej DAWIDOWICZ - administrative supervisor of the Laboratory of Crystallography
- 1994 – 2008
Prof. Anna KOZIOL
Born 30.12.1951 in Lublin. After graduating technical college (in chemistry) in Lublin, in 1970 she started chemical
studies at the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry at UMCS. In 1975 she received MSc in chemistry
(certificate of merit) and she started work as an assistant-probationer in the Crystallography Laboratory at UMCS.
After graduating postgraduate studies at Polish Academy of Sciences (PAN), in 1980 she defended her doctoral thesis
(supervisor - prof. Zofia Kosturkiewicz) at Adam Mickiewicz University (UAM) in Poznan. From 1980, working as an
assistant in the Crystallography Laboratory, she started to modernize the educational program of
crystallography. Thus, classes of theory of symmetry (space group symmetry) and classes of X-ray diffraction on single
crystals were introduced. In 1985 - 1987 she worked as departmental crystallographer at the University of Gainesville
in Florida (USA). In 1993, she received habilitatus degree at the Faculty of Chemistry at Jagiellonian University (UJ).
The main research areas of A. Koziol's group concern the structural investigation of molecular crystals,
in which the influence of structure of the molecule on the supramolecular system are analized. In 1998,
thanks to the KBN grant, the structural research group purchased the automatic diffractometer for investigation of
singlecrystals. This equipment enabled intensification of investigation, which benefited in three PhD degrees in 2005,
supervised by prof. A. Koziol.
- 2008 –
Prof. Stanislaw PIKUS
Born 4.11.1949. He received his BSc in 1972, at the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
of Maria Curie-Sklodowska University in Lublin. In 1978, at the same university, he defended his PhD thesis
in X-ray work on ”The distribution function of Pt(0) crystallite size in the system Pt(O)/zeolite LaHY”.
In 1995 he was appointed a position of associate professor and in 2007 he was awarded
a full professor's chair. Prof. S. Pikus is an author and co-author of over 100 papers,
3 patents and many computer programs.